Sunday, June 08, 2008

June 8 2008

It seems a weekly ritual to write something small to those people out there.

I’m looking back at the week wondering what I should write about… I hope my partial amnesia will wear away with time, but as a residue from college, I still have trouble looking back at the last week. Mostly it was work. I’m getting more involved with how things are working, and coming up with my own systems of doing things. Right now I am talking to prospective students, setting up auditions with them. It’s a little intimidating, because I still have only a rudimentary grasp of the different programs and the music program itself is it’s own little world. Students and their mothers who call, are all very nervous about admittance, and everything I say will be used against me at some point J I’ve been coming home quite exhausted, and sometimes with a headache, but this week has been better as I adjust to my work schedule. It helps that my boss, DK, has a very fatherly manner as well as a zany sense of humor. He’s in the office a floor above me and will call occasionally to check on me. Last time he wanted to know if there was anything that needed signed, approved, shot or knifed before he left… I gave him a few names for the later two. Also we’ve convinced E. to come and work for us, she used to be the administrative assistant’s assistant (I love saying that) for four years so she is a wealth of information. It’s good to ask her stuff sometimes because if she doesn’t know I feel less guilty about myself not knowing.. yeah perfectionist. That has been my biggest fear on the job. I am a perfectionist and as such, I will pretend things aren’t there because there is no perfect solution for them. I’m working on it.. I like this job because it does ask me to work on many of those sloppy areas in my life. The administrative side, the calling people out of the blue side…

Lot’s of training for future reference.

I also went shopping yesterday for more professional outfits. I felt very strange in a world of suits and blouses. Apparently I can look a full and ripe 45 years of age in the right ( or probably more appropriate: wrong) outfit. I found lot’s of deals, and it was surprisingly not at all as draining as I thought it would be, since I had a list of things I was looking for. I bought everything at a discount, of which I am a little suspicious. For example: most of JC Penny’s is continuously on sale. How does that work? I think these might be the actual prices and they just mark them on sale. Anyways, normaly the mall drains me in about two hours, but this time, and I hope it’s a one time thing, I actually felt exited about shopping. It’s a comfortable feeling to have enough money in the bank to pay rent and food and utilities and have enough to spare that I can spend money on items that are not necessary to survival, but conducive to life in general (such as dress slacks)

Its also been insanely hot here the last few days. Out of nowhere a blast of infernal magnitude has scorched the land. There are warnings out, and we’ve cranked up all the fans, feels like florida just without the airconditioning in stores.

Hmm.. oh, I watched Blood Diamond last night. It’s very intense, and graphic. There are a few Hollywood touches it could have done without…but wow. It was powerfull. Talk about the human condition. Basicaly it addresses the international forces that help fuel the illegal mining and selling of diamonds to fund the rebel armies linked with childsoldiers. The diamonds are minded using slave labour. The movie shows how everyone in essence is responsible in some small way (is there such a thing as a small level of responsibility?) for the war in Africa, but also that this is the human condition. We are all related by simply existing. I’m also reading a book called the forever war, which askes similar questions at one point. Having a global percpective could be hindering because it paralizes us (or at least me) in the small everyday actions. The larger problems seem so large and complicated that there is no solution and there certainly isn’t one in my lifetime..

Anyways, enough sermonizing.

That is all I can remember from this last week. I hope I get better at mentioning things.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

I love you!!!and miss you!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home