Saturday, August 09, 2008

a week one

Last night we watched the opening olympic ceremony. I was not even aware that the opening ceremony was that intense. Way to go china! It seems that there was an uneasy tension that everyone was ignoring by being way too happy about little stuff. I'm not up on enough of the world news to really understand the politics, but I was pretty sure china's not number one hero at the moment. When all the countries walked in to the stadium, waving their flags, I wondered what all the pageantry meant. Was it really an oppertunity to extend the hand of peace, in the name of sports? because if it was, then I almost unbelievingly applaud the effort. But I can't help think of all the money and sponsorships that went into it, and all the commercials and "special olympic deals" I wonder if they are trying to merge peace with consumerism. Which is a scary though. Peace can be found more readily in living simply and knowing your neighbours, than in shutting out the world and buying more things.
problem is the pictures to big. There's always justification for different sides.
hmm. anyways.
How was my week?
well. I can't really remember my week that well. I know that last sunday I went to church with a friend other than my roommate, which was strangly enjoyable. I also took a sketch pad with me and crayons (the reasoning being that they don't get on the carpet) and instead of singing, I sat on the floor in the back and drew pictures. I always wanted to draw when I worshiped. I'm not sure why. and I think it's the main reason I enjoy doing it is because I don't question it like everything else. in singing I wonder if I'm hittting the notes right or I'm enjoying hitting them right. In drawing I let go and wonder. It's allot of fun, because often I just queit myself and listen to the song, or just wait, and then I see a colour, or a shape, and I draw it, and move on from there, there's no structure, just a picture and a reason that's not quite clear as I'm drawing. I love looking at the finished drawing and seeing a story there. some of them are inexplicable, some of them are quite clear. Last week I drew a tree branching up into the sky, no leaves and the oceans of the world were pouring down into it's roots. It was at the center of the world with stars in it's branches and the rising sun coming up behind it. Once I saw the finished picture, I knew that this was a promise. (it ties in with biblical promises G-d makes, but it was sort of like the big picture for my personal life)
There were no leaves on the branches yet, but there would be. I like that, when it applies to my life. (although it's not very botanically accurate)
after church I must have talked to everyone, got roped into helping with the costumes for their productions. got talked into going to New York. It was fun.
Then R and I went shopping which was even more fun.
The rest of the week is a blur, I only know that tuesday my computer arrived, my little baby computet that is so addorable and functional! I've been monopolizing it ever since. Which would be a lot more impressive if it wasn't just me anyways. I'm on the porch right now with the trees all around and music playing in the background. I get quite distracted writing these little notes, and I forget that these are for you all to read, not just me talking to myself. I like that I can just ramble on, but I know I should be more sensible as to what and how and where and all that jazz. My friend K from pensylvania came and spent the weekend with me. She and I used to work at Starbucks together and she graduated Nyack years before me.
We had fun, talking to people. dragging her to meet my friends.
You know, I like people one on one. I like groups, but not very often. I like to get to know people on their own. It makes for a much more intesive upkeep program I tell you. It would be easier to have one group and hang out with different parts of it all the time, but I don't think it really gives me the human connection we all so desperatly are looking for. The sad thing though, is when you get people alone, and you spend enough time with them, they let their guard down and show you how confused and worried they are. To much time in that mode, and you need to hang out with a group just to cheer yourself up. I think that's why we're communal people, and why we "should not forsake the meeting with brothers" because in a group we remember happiness and alone, we remember that life is an uphill struggle. hmm.
E told me that the happiest group of people (the most balanced emotionaly) were those who woke up each morning and set aside a time to share their dreams with each other. This gave them an opportunity to share, and it gave their friends an opportunity to comment on what they had dreamed, bringing insights into it that hadn't been available to the dreamer.
I like it. I'd be willing to give it a shot. Anyways, I better post this before it takes to much longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home