Friday, December 10, 2010

There is christmas in the air!

Merry christmas season to one and all!
I'm happy to announce, the stuck/berrios household has it's tree up and lit! I think it's proof positive that nellie and I are good roommates (I almost typed Inmates by mistake :-) that our christmas decorations match perfectly. Our tree looks very profesional.
I love this season!
Carol and Candlelight, the anual tour of handbells, women's choir and brass ensemble has been completed! It's my third year doing it, and let me say, they don't get easier. This year, because of Anne's death, we had 5 key performers pull out to attend her funeral which was held during the tour in Buffalo. Knowing this, I had a few interesting moments of panick heading into the tour. But here is the interesting thing; because we lost the Alto section almost completely, I got the chance to sing alto on tour. These songs are some of my favorite christmas songs ever, and I hum along in the audience anyways. But what fun it was to sing on stage. What a challenge too! I had to fight myself to stay loud. I've never sung harmony before, and doing it stone cold and sightreading... who needs a mountain to jump off of? I had my adrenaline right there!
So in short, we had no alto section, the driver of one of the vehicles got pulled over minutes into the trip, the driver of another hit another car, one of the churches turned out to be so small that it held only ten more audience than tour members, one of our students (one of the alto's) got sick two performances into the tour and I spent the night in a bathroom because the host family had assumed the directors where married (although this is nowhere indicated and no one's last name is the same). Little things kept happening during tour as well, adding to our sense of unreality. When we arrived back on campus for our last performance, Jenn Scot, the handbell director, and I lay on the floor and laughed for five minutes straight.
My right leg is still a little sore from driving over 13 hours that weekend. I list the negative first, so that the positive can be emphasised. I learned some very interesting lessons during that tour. I sang in public, as a part of a well trained ensemble and held my own. This definitly boosts my selfesteem to pursue singing lessons.

so much for the tour. work continues and school continues. I've been given a grace period to finish my papers, so I have untill monday. I hope to finish one today, and another tomorrow. It's been a struggle giving up my perfectionism, because I know that my grades will not be stellar this term. It's not the work, but the timing that has been difficult.

In any case. once monday comes, I start my holiday celibrations! It hasn't snowed here yet, but it's getting mighty cold.
I have christmas party this week and one next week, a muppet movie showing and a performance of Handel's messiah! I've booked every evening next week for friends and on friday my friend K is coming!
Love you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home