Wednesday, August 20, 2008

arabic

I signed up for arabic today. I still need to prove that I'm a resident of these parts, but once I do that, I will be free to go and become part of the academic comunity again. S and I are really looking forward to being students again.
The RCC campus is much different from the Nyack one, in that it is new and huge and very much designed for the scholastic functions designated to it. There is also a pool, so I am hoping very much that we will be able to get at least a weekly workout in. this fall I will once again dissapear into business. With working 40 hours a week it will be more difficult to manage, but I also realize that this is real living. this is my life and if I don't take the chances offered me, I will regret it later anyways. So I'd rather regret knowing I tried. I've also realized that I sometimes wait because I don't want to miss the oppertunities that might be coming, by comiting to something now. I am older and wiser and so I would rather have the bird in the hand.
Speaking of older. my birthday was pretty spectacular, especially since I get so down going into them. the whole let's go eat worms thing hits pretty hard. But saturday S, L and I headed into the city and had lunch in grand central station foodcourt. I've never been down there, but the food is excellent. It's a very high end foodcourt type deal. I had a very homemade soup and sandwhich which was very tasty. Then we walked up to central park to meet with friends for a concert. It was a very interesting free experimental concert which meant two out of three of the bands were mostly good. For the first time at a concert I was able to put my head back and close my eyes and just listen and enjoy the experience. (usually I am fainting or something) after the concert the three of us headed towards union square and the belgian dinner I had planned
there's a belgian waffle cart that is actually run by a belgian (although the only times I've been there I've seen a marokaan which is still authentic, I guess) so reall waffles. they were not as good as the ones you get in belgium, but they past muster. we then walked down to Pommes Frites and got belgian frites for dinner. Yummy.
Then S and I took a train to friends of ours and spent the night. well, we stayed up until 2 talking about books and life and music. They are some pretty cool people. We then drove to church with them in the morning and then in the afternoon cleaned the appartment. in the evening friends came over, and since they were on the hallelujah diet, they cooked dinner. beans, plantains, couscous and salade. it was pretty filling. we then sat around and played games and had fun. I played them some Eddie Izzard and we had fun with the La sange est sur la branche!
All in all, a good weekend. I also was taken out to diner by a friend and taken to a thrift store. so much fun!
So I've been reading Carl Jung and about the subconcious and it's taught me a valuable lesson: people project subconciously. I knew this, but the point Jung made hit very close to home. He was describing a patient who had isolated himself from everyone but could only see the world as a cruel place, working against him. I recognized myself in that, quite a bit and it scared me. Especially when he, at age 40, was brought to say that he couldn't admit that he'd been wrong since it meant he'd wasted the best part of his life. I don't want to do that. I want to live life and live it well and full and large.
I want to work hard, but not out of a sense of inadequacy, and I want to enjoy the moment, not just because I'm afraid that the next will cost me. I'm tired of living niggardly ( I wonder what the root of that word is, and if it's PC) because I want to hoard life.
So's that's me at 24.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

I'm not going to lie and say that I read the whole post, but I really like the end of it. I also thought you'd enjoy hearing that your blog got blocked by my computer again.

stop being so explicit hahaha

much love

-Chris-

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home