Wednesday, March 16, 2011

hard thing to face

I just found out that one of the artists I love has announced she's gay, and a christian. I have friends who are gay, and very happy..
I live in a society in which we all hear the news, we all are told so many scary things, and yet no one listens. I almost cried when the barista at starbucks handed me a paper cup after asking for a to-stay mug. he made me complicite in needless waste. I was in NY city and l looked up at the skyscrapers and felt like a prophet of doom. how long? how long do we have?
Wandering through NY, I was constantly being bombarded with advertisement, advertisement, advertisement. I was desperatly looking for Alan Ginsberg's HOLY, HOLY, HOLY, and found only noise and demands.
I looked to the students I was chauffeuring and singled only two out who knew how to converse meaningfully. and even then, only on the topic of ourselves. We are silent when it comes to anything else. We are so bombarded with things and events we do not sift through our own selves and settle down into them. Debate on topics is impossible, because we do not know what we mean when we use words.

I can't leave my house to go for a stroll without meeting with cookie cutter suburban houses, badly made, and larger than necesary. decorated with useless toys and a large TV.
so much of my life is sitting and staring at screens. computers, T.V's .
and When I am done with these questions I still look west and east and south and wonder... if we took all the money in the offering plate, and gave it to the poor. if we took away our church buildings and met in houses. If we threw out our T.V's and put up easels instead. if we remembered how to sing the songs we listen to know. If we all rode bikes and though about what we were doing.

Intent. where has the intent gone?

My friends, forgive me.. I live alone, so these thoughts percolate untill I find an outlet.
At the moment, Diego is begging me to play with him. and as he rarely does that.m, I will oblige him. thoughts are welcome

1 Comments:

Anonymous dorien said...

ellen's notaboekje, waarin in begonnen ben toen ik bij u was, is bijna vol. ik heb mij vrijdag al een nieuw aangeschaft zodat ik zou verder kunnen.
quasi 'zinloze' gedachten ventileren kan enorm opluchten. ik merk dat ik rustiger ben daarna. mijn schrijfstijl wisselt enorm, en inhoudelijk lijk ik totaal bipolair afhankelijk van de hoeveelheid slaap en dergelijke. maar gedachten neerschrijven helpt! ik kan het weten ;)
over de inhoud van je post: we maken er het beste van, van het leven bedoel ik
ik las vandaag volgend interview, afgenomen van een 25-jarige die momenteel als eindredacteur bij De Standaard (grote, vlaamse kwaliteitskrant) werkt en ook nog in Leuven gestudeerd heeft toen ik daar rond liep (hij zat toen bij de studentenkrant, en ik was jaloers en heb zijn naam onthouden ;) ). het gaat over hoe "onze generatie", volgens hem, omgaat met de dingen:
http://goethalsmaarten.wordpress.com/2010/12/31/%E2%80%98deze-eeuw-gaat-me-moeilijk-af%E2%80%99/#more-826

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home