Wednesday, August 31, 2011

short and garbled

since the last post, I've been packing, and saying goodbye to people. I've been allowing myself to luxuriate in the company of my friends, shamelessly enjoying them like a long drink of water on a hot summers day. at the same time, I've been crying regularly, mourning like I have never mourned before, in part, because I feel this separation more than any other. All other moves, I had a destination, a goal in mind, and I had the hope that maybe where I was going, I would learn to feel alright, I would be OK. This move, I know I'm not ok, and I know what I'm leaving behind. And oddly enough, in these last few days, I am missing not only Nyack, but the parts of Belgium Nyack reminded me of. I'm going to miss the chocolate shop in Nyack, not just because it's chocolate, but because it has all of my childhood candy in it, and the proprietor speaks dutch. And the packaging is in dutch. It was in Nyack that I realized that although I will never fit in anywhere, I can still be myself and add to the scenery. This post is mostly self analytical, as I look around my room in boxes yet again. I love moving, I love new experiences, but I am afraid of losing what I have here. I woke up this morning singing Dutch songs to myself, desperately missing my language. one I'm not so sure I can still speak. One that won't ship books to the U.S because they know no one here speaks it. My parents were foreigners in my culture, now I'm going to be a stranger in theirs.
Ik kan maar met moeite omschakelen naar het vlaams, en ik denk daarom dat ik aan het zingen was, om de klank en vorm van de taal te vatten. Moet de storm deze weekend, kreeg ik plots enorm heimwee, met all dat wind, en de bomen die omgeblazen werden. Deed me denken aan een storm die we ooit in Belgie gehad hadden. Vlaams is ergens toch wel de helft van mijn moedertaal. Ik weet dat dit nooit gevraagd word op een enquete, maar toch. Als ik mij niet bezig houd met het nederlands dan ben ik minder mijzelf. maakt momenteel niet uit hoe slecht mijn spelling of grammatica is. Ik mis het, ik mis het zo. Ik moest gisteren, toen ik voor het laatst afscheid nam van vrienden, en erger, mensen die vrienden hadden kunnen worden, plots in het vlaams huilen en vloeken. En dan pas kon ik voelen dat ik echt weg was. tja. Mischien moet ik mij meer bezig houden met het schrijven in het nederlands, maar dan moet ik echt weer gaan studeeren. Nyack, ik ga u missen, mischien kom ik terug, maar niet meer alleen. God, kunnen we dat afspreken? Ik ben het zo beu om de wereld door te gaan op m'n eentje. En het is niet meer gezond voor mij om dit te doen. alsjeblieft?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home